For Students in Grades 6, 7 and 8
Campers in grades 6-8 interested in learning about careers in marine biology and animal care at the conservation organization WCS New York Aquarium will engage in science activities related to daily career themes. Participants will learn about animal behavior science, create an animal exhibit model, conduct a biological survey, engage with the Animal Keepers, and examine veterinary specimens under a microscope. The week-long exploration will culminate in a special presentation session of student work that will be open to families and friends.
Dates: Monday, April 6, 2015 to Friday, April 10, 2015
Time: 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Location: New York Aquarium, located on Surf Avenue & West 8th Street in Brooklyn, New York 11224
How to Apply:
1. Click the "Click Here to Apply" button to complete the application questions on the following screens.
2. Click here to download all required application forms.
3. Complete the Parent/Guardian Consent and DOE Media Release forms.
4. Ask your child's teacher to sign the letter of support.
5. Complete all WCS-New York Aquarium application forms - health record, camper release, and photo release forms.
6. Submit all required application forms by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, March 13, 2015 by email to STEMMattersNYC@schools.nyc.gov or mail to:
STEM Matters NYCOffice of Curriculum, Instruction, and Professional LearningNew York City Department of Education52 Chambers Street, Room 205New York, NY 10007 Camper applications are due by 5:00 p.m., Friday, March 13, 2015. Acceptance into the camp is based on a lottery. Notification of acceptance will be sent by Wednesday, March 25, 2015 via email. If your camper is accepted, you will be required to pay a $20 registration fee to cover the entire cost of camp, due byThursday, April 2, 2015. Campers who do not submit their registration fee will forfeit their seat.
If you have questions, please email STEMMattersNYC@schools.nyc.gov.