Queens middle school students, how about:
· Spending your summer at a world-class art museum?
· Working closely and learning from professional artists?
· Developing your arts, academic and social skills through fun art projects and workshops?
· Going on art field trips around NYC
· Exhibiting your work in a two-week public exhibition and celebration at the Queens Museum in September
· Learning about high school art programs at the Queens Museum and around NYC
In this intensive six-week summer arts program, you will grow your art skills in drawing, sculpture, graphics and much more. You’ll grow as an artist and learn about how other artists think and create. This is a great opportunity for students who might be interested in applying to high schools arts programs.
· Mondays to Thursdays, 10AM-5PM
· July 11 to August 18 (six weeks)
· Students will also have access to additional optional studio time at the Museum.
The Queens Museum. There will also be occasional group field trips to libraries and art centers around New York City.
Students who are Queens residents AND will be entering seventh (7th), eighth (8th) or ninth (9th) grades in FALL 2016 are eligible to apply. Please note that due to ongoing partnerships, first priority will go to students who attend either MS 217 in Briarwood or IS 61 in Corona. Students are strongly encouraged to return for more than one summer.
How will the participants be selected?
· We’ll be looking for youth who
· Commit to ALL the dates of the program
· Are OPEN-MINDED and willing to try new things
· Are MOTIVATED to grow as artists.
Important program details
· This program is FREE for all admitted students participants, including art supplies and materials
· Afternoon snacks will be provided. Students and families are responsible for packing cold lunches (we can’t reheat food)
· Students and families are responsible for transportation to and from the Museum
· Participants have to be able to commit to the whole program
· Students will participate in journals, mapping, and interviews to help outside audiences understand how young artists think and grow.
You can apply online here or use the attached flyer.